The Wilds and You: Gardening Topic!

Hi there! Names chi! Im almost certainly NOT a gardener, but with this thread, hopefully we all might get a little more in touch with our WILD side. Hah, get it?

No?

Mkay, moving on.
Essentially, this is just sort of a superthread for gardening related stuff! Im gonna post gardening related photos over the course of my summer, and hopefully others will join in if they’re getting up to something wild!

See you on the flipside!

16 Likes

it may be april, but ive already been threshing and tilling my soil! Ill be going out on the 20th to buy spice plants and all sorts of assorted seeds. Hows everyone elses gardens? Anything planted yet, or are you all still being old mcdonald?

23 Likes

I love gardening, but this year with our third child, my wife and I decided not to plant anything. :sob:

12 Likes

Not much of a gardener, but I work as a camp counselor over the summer and we have a garden there. Apparently, the camp has been working on a new fence.

11 Likes

I’ll take an updated pic of my wee plants tomorrow once it’s light out. These forget-me-nots do not want to go down without a fight. :deirdrexd:

11 Likes

Actually, good point: should this be in creationary, rather than elsewither? @AG_Catherine dont suppose you mind moving this topic?

6 Likes

thanks!

5 Likes

Okay, so a bit longer than I’d intended, but plants!

The petunias (the middle one) didn’t fair so well when I went out of town for a couple days, but the pansies and forget-me-not are fighting the good fight. I cut the grass planter out (to the left of the pansies) because the lack of dirt from being attacked/monched upon finally took its toll.

Seeds of supposing take two! Two tiny sprouts, haven’t changed much in size, but they’re there! :aetherdetermined:

13 Likes

ooo. looks like you’re already taking off running. Impressive!

5 Likes

It’s getting past this stage that’s the trick. :sweat_smile:

Also, helps that I don’t have to wait for the Big Thaw :tm: to start. :simon:

Oh, and I haven’t forgot about sending that new set of Beans of Remembering up to the AG office, since the first two sets seemed not to like the cold very much. (And I’ll probably start the final set here as a safeguard so at least one will hopefully grow) And I’ll send a copy of the actual directions rather than what came in the box. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

mhmh. months of continued work, over and over tends to get some people really bored. Gardening requires a real solid amount of concentration and dedication to the craft, for sure.

6 Likes

I’ve just started to water my cacti again, now that things have mostly thawed, but I’m expecting another cold snap, so I’m cautious about planting my Seeds of Supposing (that’s what the empty pot is for. I might kill them if I plant them now).
Audrey doesn’t seem to appreciate being watered so I’ve let her be. Maybe she eats spiders or something? The cats seem to be scared of her so she keeps my other plants safe.

15 Likes

This is Alfred, my pincushion cactus

This is Melanie. All I know is that she’s purple and attracts cat hair.
And Audrey is… just Audrey?

14 Likes

Got an herb kit for christmas and they’re my pride and joy!! They just got new pots a couple weeks ago and they are thriving. Also featured is my lil succulent who I will be taking cuttings from and repotting when I get back from visiting my family in Chicago!

Not pictured: the orchid I managed to kill in only like two months :grimacing:

16 Likes

Some orchids are surprisingly resilient. I had one once that looked like it died several times, I think one time it came back with like 20+ flowers on it (if I recall correctly I called them my hurricane flowers because they came up right around/after a hurricane).

9 Likes

Yeah I think it was a combination of bad placement on my part (too cold, then too much sun) and no drainage in the pot it came in but all the leaves fell out and the stalk where they came out of was all black and moldy which did not look too promising…

9 Likes

eesh, almost sounds like you drowned it, too. how much water did you give it?

7 Likes

Those blue pots are so pretty! I need to get matching pots for my plants now…

8 Likes

I’m thinking of heading to the garden section of a store on my walk today, need more places to put plants.

8 Likes

Pots are plastic and were like $3!! They are cheap and cute and get the job done! And @Cj_Heighton I don’t think I watered the orchid enough actually? But honestly have no idea

9 Likes