The Tabletop Gaming Thread!

Are you talking about Cyberpunk 2077? It’s going to be available on April 16 next year for Windows, PS4, and Xbox One

5 Likes

Actually, it’s a German thing, but that’s besides the point :joy: but it’s a great game that you should definitely check out.

4 Likes

Has anyone here ever heard of or played The Quiet Year? It’s a really sweet collaborative storytelling tabletop game played with a deck of cards about a community. I just had the thought that if people were interested we could set up a thread to play it. I think there’s a limit to players, (four I’m sure, and two at minimum although you can middle through alone if you fudge some parts) but as the whole point is to tell a story of a community and watch it unfold it’s enjoyable to read accounts of it. And I’ve seen guides for playing alone that suggest using twitter (or other social media posts) polls to make certain choices/“discuss” things.

There’s also a version (that I forgot the name of…) where you play as a community of monsters rather than humans which I own but haven’t spent as much time with but looks very enjoyable too!

10 Likes

Ooh, this looks interesting! I’ll take a closer look when I have the time but so far it’s a very intriguing concept, I’d be interested if people want to play! Though if the limit is only 4 players then it might be a little rude to be playing it on the forum in such a way that nobody can join? I’m not sure what we’d do about that, but the idea is very good :blossom:

7 Likes

This reminds me a little of Microscope, if anyone here has heard of that one. It seems really cool and I would love to play if given the option. The whole forum could get involved the way fungibility was saying by having all the choices rely on a polling system. Kind of like TwitchPlays where the actions are decided by the community.

Praise the Helix Fossil!

8 Likes

It could be for sure, but it might be entertaining just to read, however if there’s interest we could also probably fudge the rules and allow for more input so more people can be involved I’m sure!

5 Likes

This is going to sound really, really weird but not too long ago I played a computer came that replicates table top games.

4 Likes

Oh was it Tabletop Simulator? My computer can’t run it unfortunately (for my computer is apparently made of potatoes and the occasional nail) but it’s a good way of playing board games with online friends and getting to feel like you’re really playing the game! :blossom:

4 Likes

It was indeed! Although I was very bad at it so it was more of me grabbing things and whispering “Am I allowed to do this? Is this a thing I can do or am I slowly approaching death?” but overall it was fun!

6 Likes

haha yeah! That’s generally how that game goes. The one time I actually got it working my friends managed to crash my computer for me by flipping the table and making the cards 100 times larger. Sometimes… Too much customisability is a curse… I’m glad you had fun though!! :blossom:

4 Likes

I didn’t know you could flip the table, whenever i play it next I’m definitely doing this if I make a mistake and then say, “what mistake? I don’t see a mistake on the board”

5 Likes

Oh you sure can haha, it resets itself upright but you have to redo all the cards and stuff if I remember right (Though, yknow, my computer was coughing up dust at that point so I can’t really say for sure) the animation of it is pretty funny if you time it right, as I’m sure you will :blossom:

5 Likes

I’ll be sure to tell a story of it here when I do so!

6 Likes

Wow! The Ackerly Forum/threads are huge. I look forward to combing throuh the sections to learn about different tabletops. I learned about tabletop gaming in college playing DnD version 3.5. Yes I know I’m old.

Haven’t played any recently so for now I am just looking and admiring at how tabletop has evolved and the many different versions and types.

One day I would like to be able to create my own. Maybe a Pthfinder Dnd and RISUS hybrid. Or something completely different.

9 Likes

I’ve hear of escape the dark castle a lot, what’s the average play time for it?

6 Likes

It’s about 30 mins to 45 depending on the ground and rolls, I’ve just backed their new one Escape the dark sector

6 Likes

So one game I am absolutely in love with is Gloomhaven. Besides just the regular rpg elements, you unlock new characters and maps as you play through the massive story content in a coop group. I could easily see over 200+ hours from this game. If you haven’t heard of it, definitely check it out!

6 Likes

So we’re staying at an AirBnB.
Has anyone played Munchkin or Codename?

10 Likes

I’ve played munchkin! Specifically the adventure time edition. It’s my ex gf’s favourite game! It takes a little bit to get used to the rules but it is very fun once you do get used to it! I haven’t played codenames, but I’ve seen it around. Let me know if it turns out to be any good!! :blossom:

8 Likes

I have a feeling we won’t have time, the rest of fam will be here til Tuesday, but three of us are leaving Sunday afternoon since we have work.

7 Likes