The Hobby Super Topic

Thought I’d start off a general hobby discussion topic I’ve been wanting to create with my newest hobby:

Beekeeping!

The kids and I just finished building and painting our first hive and should have a new family of :honeybee: moving in within the month. It’s been so fun learning about bees, how they live, and how to humanely care for them.

I’ll update here when we finally bring home the “Bernstings”. :cjsmile:

33 Likes
The Welcome Super Topic: Come Say Hello!

The hive house is so pretty! :cjheart:

10 Likes

The Bernstings!! :laughing: That’s delightful! I wish your hive much pollen in their lovely new house!

13 Likes

I wish I had the courage to do that, not to mention the room. I go through more honey than a bear.

I’m a crafter. Knitting and crochet, a bit of jewelry making. I want to get into weaving, but I need to save up for a proper loom. If kayaking can be called a hobby, I’d like to do that too.

9 Likes

I’ve always wanted bees but my siblings are too afraid TT

3 Likes

My main hobbies are crocheting and embroidery. I mostly crochet amigurumi or lace and embroider on baseball caps.

@CJB when the hat gets to you could you take a few pictures? I forgot to take some before I sent it off.

16 Likes

I am a HUGE fan of your Audrey II

5 Likes

I knit and embroider, mainly!

18 Likes

Of course!

6 Likes

@CJB omg I so want to get into beekeeping!!

5 Likes

Ah I love bees! I am getting a bee as my next tattoo. We are also researching beekeeping at my family’s farm!

5 Likes

My next door neighbors just got bees! They’re training me as “deputy beekeeper” for when they’re travelling, etc. Met my new frens a couple of weeks ago. The gal with the green mark is Queen Petunia.

They were so happy and calm, we could touch them with our bare hands without getting stung!

19 Likes

Ok, this is gonna sound super silly but… do the bees stay indoors? :scream: Or is that just for the photo?

8 Likes

No no, they’ll be out in the lower field. :purple_heart: Was just painting/assembling on the porch.

7 Likes

Thank you! :cjheart: I had to smush a few different patterns together to get her to turn out like that since I couldn’t find one ready made.

6 Likes

That hive looks awesome! Last year we got a beehive and we might expand with a second around December when it’s warmer - our bees give so much honey!!

Still scare me though…

6 Likes

I’m a crafter at heart. I often find myself looking at crafts online and being like “man, how fun would that be to make.” Next thing I know, I’m looking up tutorials and at the craft story buying materials !

So far I’ve dabbled in knitting, crocheting, embroidery, pearler beads, bead bracelets, custom Mickey Ears, journal decorating ( I made myself a Midori Traveler’s Notebook, and a couple of inserts for it ! ), simple necklace vial charms . . . and I think that’s all ? I could be missing a few ;;

The next projects I’ve set my eyes on are making beaded anklets and friendship bracelets.

My pursuit of learning new crafts never ceases :two_hearts:

13 Likes

I’m also hoping that dealing with beehives will eventually get me over my intense trypophobia.

14 Likes

Bee keepers unite!

18 Likes

I wish I had the space to keep bees! The closest I’ll be getting any time soon is a bee hotel for solitary bees :honeybee:

I’m into calligraphy, love knitting and I write a weekly review article for an online media magazine. No rest for the wicked!

11 Likes