Mystery Stitch-along (cross-stitch)

Okay, this invite of sorts may ramble a bit, so apologies if it gets hard to follow.

Tl;dr: There is a mystery cross-stitch project coming this summer, orchestrated by some non-magiq folks, that I have done the past couple years.Their site says content may range as high as an R-rating on the movie scale, but usually for crude humor related to body parts/adult activities (specifics are my observation), and there are usually completion options with friendlier ratings. Is anyone interested in participating?

Long version:
There is a thing out in other parts of the internet called Steotchalong. I found it after all the pattern pieces were up for year 5, and fully participated in year 6 (last year).

Steotchalong is a mystery cross-stitch project with multiple endings/ways to complete it, where the pattern is released over the course of several weeks (last year’s the endings were in week 9). The designer may (read: likely will) make it look like you’re stitching something naughty by selecting certain parts of the pattern to release earlier than others. Last year, parts of some letters looked like a particular number that would fit that description.

They did it over the fall holidays last year rather than over the summer, so when I tried to see if any Mounties wanted to join the fun the timing was less than ideal.

I’ll put a link here to a photo of the one that I finished last year as part of a gift exchange.
Edit: last photo in Rev’s post Winter Gift Exchange Unwrapping

I’d love to, but I have no idea how to cross-stitch/they take so much time to complete.
It’s super easy, the only parts that might possibly need more than the standard making-a-little-x-over-and-over are in some of the pre-designed endings, and they do put diagrams for how to make those more difficult stitches if you really want those options for your own. As for it being time-consuming, they release the pattern in chunks of 100-150 or so stitches for an entire week, and there’s no hard-fast rule that you have to keep up with the releases. The project itself, depending on count of fabric, usually fits in a 5x7 frame.

What would I even need/does it cost anything?
If you happen to have cross-stitching supplies already, it may cost you nothing! The patterns will likely have pay-what-you-want links on the cover pages, but they aren’t mandatory.

Things you’ll need if you’re starting from zero:
Aida cloth (which count the designer used will be released later, but can be done on just about any of them; the number on the aida is how many x-es per inch, so the higher the number, the smaller it will be)
Embroidery floss - the kind that easily comes apart into six strands. Specific colors, if they are specified (last year’s pattern was “pick 4 that you like”) should be announced along with the size of the project.
A needle (so long as you can fit 2-3 strands of the floss in the eye, any sewing needle you happen to have is fine)

Some people use embroidery rings to keep their projects taut, or fabric markers to mark out a grid so it’s easier to find where the stitches need to go. I usually just put masking tape on the edges of my fabric to keep it from fraying, and on the example further up I made grid marks along the outer edge with sewing thread (five blocks over, five blocks under, and so on).

The last time they did it over the summer, it looks like the scant details pre-pattern release were posted mid/late June, so ample time to think about it.

Anyone interested? Or have any other questions?

8 Likes

I’d really enjoy that, simply because I’ve been meaning to get back on the cross stitch wagon, and recently came into bunch of floss and stuff. I think the ongoing mystery also would keep me committed, because I can only seem to focus when I have a deadline :roll_eyes:.

7 Likes

Oooh, this would be fun! And doing it together would probably motivate me to finish it. Count me in!

6 Likes

Okay, I felt like digging up the actual pictures I took of the ones I’ve made from these things in the past.

A magiq version of 2017’s

Two other fandom ones I made for a gift exchange that year

And the one I finished last year (familiar if you followed the link in the first post)

I also initially started one in :ebenguard: colors, but gift exchange got in the way.

9 Likes

I still have that on my desk. It’s beautiful. :cjheart:

8 Likes