How Do You Describe Enlightenment?

all-guild

This could be in relation to your guild or just how you process it

My two schools of thought are A) Being shown a light or B) Relieving a giant burden
Or both!

3 Likes

I used to see it as relief, but I think my idea of it changed over time. The burden is still there, the difference being that you acknowledge the burden, accept it’s going to be there, and continue to move on. Enlightenment for me is making harmony with your problems, and being able to coexist with them peacefully. Change what you can, accept what you can’t.

4 Likes

That’s definitely something I can get behind <3

2 Likes

I describe Enlightenment as a trap.

Imagine being free of your negative emotions. Truly understanding, at the deepest level possible, that anger, hatred, sadness, envy are all conditions that live in your own head. (Yes, sometimes, like anxiety quite literally created in your head via chemicals and other conditions. That’s more complicated but the general premise holds.)

In one moment you ‘get it’ and those negative emotions no longer hold power over you. You can pick them up or put them down as if they were pieces of paper. If someone insults you, you realize you don’t have to chose to get angry. It all just washes off you. You are free. As @metatomato puts it so well, your burdens are still there. You just coexist with them.

For a moment you are happy. Just a moment. Because then you realize, if all my ‘negative’ emotions were just wisps of air without meaning…what are my ‘positive’ emotions?

The trap is complete. The world will never look like it did before. On the plus side, that fact no longer bothers you.

Apoligies if that’s a bit of a downer. It’s just a fun mini game I’ve played in my head from time to time what it would actually be like. This is for entertainment purposes only. :wink:

6 Likes

cant have the light in your life without the dark. If a candle didnt cast a shadow, that’d be downright unnatural.

3 Likes

Being shown a light for sure.

2 Likes

Given the word, this makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

The Light of the Body.

“The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light; but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be."

I may be breaking a rule by posting this quote but it is fitting…

1 Like

To continue the conversation, for me enlightenment was (or at least a precursor to true enlightenment which I can’t speak of without bringing my religion into it) realizing that I have the light of life in me and that I shared that energy with all living things.
To kind of describe it, here’s a poem I wrote years ago while attending a required English class at community college:
"With a sleeping heart, dullness dominates the mind and shades the eyes like dark sunglasses.
People drone. Trees are just wood. Bugs are nothing.
But as my heart awakens my eyes shed the shades. People shine. Trees glow. And even bugs carry the spark as I feel life circulating around me, within me.
Burning with joy I realize that I am one with “the ten thousand things”.

2 Likes