Dungeons and Dragons - Character Stories, Descriptions and more!

You murdered me with a sandwich! :joy:

5 Likes

That’s how friendship works in DnD, right? :blossom:

5 Likes

I was more insulted at the fact it was a sandwich of all things :joy: After that I went on a campaign of terror in the next DnD game as I wasn’t taking that lying down :laughing:

6 Likes

its tal! Wip sketch being done by an artist named avaloki

13 Likes

Oh bless! That’s adorable, what a cutie pie! :blossom:

6 Likes

This is only vaguely D&D related but does anyone want to see some new dice I got (or should it maybe go in a different thread)? friends have a little annual get-together where they trade dice and I got invited this year :’)

9 Likes

Yes!! I’m not sure which thread would be better than the dnd thread to post dice (except maybe the tabletop thread?) But whichever thread you choose I’d love to see them! I love dice… :blossom:

9 Likes

You could always start a dice thread! I’m sure there’s more than a few shiny maths rocks hoarders here…

9 Likes

I’ve been a Dungeon Master since 3e and the one thing I’ve learned is that, no matter what you have planned, your players have a will of their own and will do something you couldn’t expect.
I have had an entire story thrown away because the players decided to leave well enough alone, and had to create new tales on the fly because they chose to go The Wrong Way.

My favourite moment, which I often retell with false ire, is when my group was travelling between locations. I gave them an incident to break up the journey.
Passing by a junction that led to windmill upon a hill, a villager ran to the group waving his arms, calling for help. A group of hobgoblins were holding the millers hostage while they stole grain! Save them, please!
This was intended to be a strategic combat encounter. Kill the hobgoblins while ensuring the safety of the captives.
There was no roll for initiative, no blood shed. They hired them.

The cleric had had an idea: he would walk in first and alone and attempt to “Reason with the Hobgoblins”. I liked this idea but knew it would likely fail, the hobgoblins all followed their one leader and that leader would not be so easily swayed by mere words.
The cleric entered, unarmed, hands open and spread wide and spoke to the hobgoblins. He said that there was no need for violence, that there was a way that everyone could get out of this situation safely, with no need for bloodshed. He was in full negotiator mode. Then he asks me a question: “Does that count as a full round of talking?” I was confused for only one moment.
“Yes,” I said, already looking to the hobgoblins stat block.
“I cast Enthrall.”
“Of course you do…” This was a spell to captivate an audience, make them more amenable and compliant. It was a way to take loyalty away from the Leader, and it was only the Leader who passed his saving throw. Ahtrite didn’t want to listen to another liar and his false words, and told the cleric to leave before he killed one of the captives. All the other hobgoblins however now saw the cleric as a friend worth listening to and wanted to hear him out.
Ahtrite was stunned by this unexplained shift in loyalty. He explained to the that they needed the grain, needed the food, because the Sivies (people of the civilised races) only saw them as monsters and wouldn’t treat them fairly, even attacking them on sight. They couldn’t get work, nor access to towns, so they couldn’t get money to buy things legit, so stealing and robbing is the only way. It was what the Sivies had forced them to.
The cleric listened. Their group had been charged with hunting bandits, with a bounty per head. He hired the hobgoblins to join them for a portion of the bounty. There was resistance from Ahtrite, until the cleric pointed out that the hobgoblins couldn’t actually eat the grain, it needed to be made into bread first. In turn each hobgoblin looked down at his bag of inedible loot, turned to their leader, and told him they wanted to “go legits”.

And so it was that a hearty band of adventurers gained an equally sized band of hobgoblin NPCs to accompany them.
The Leader: Ahtrite. Grunt, Shunt, Punt, Needles, Prick, and Shortarse. NPCing them was fun.

Never stop expecting your players to do something you hadn’t planned for. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

BAM, FULL COLOUR IS DONE

13 Likes

ridiculously cheap for the price, if anyone wants one…

they have a full time job, far as i know, so they’re apparently just doing this as a paid hobby, which makes me feel better about it.

5 Likes

This is fantastic!! So cute! :blossom:

6 Likes

New campaign planning is going superb, got tons of interest from my pcs! We’re running a 200-years-later dealio, so im excited to see how pcs deal with a suddenly very different technology level for their world. We went from swords and sorcery to hardcore victorian era, mistborne style, so watching the pcs deal with rifles and revolvers mixed with magic will be brilliant. If i have an opening one day ill put out the call for brave adventurers, i suppose ^^ water level of our planet of alva lowered by 30%, and folks are dealing with the ruins of fallen empires, abandoned 800 years ago; massive trade kingdoms that came through the warp gates of sigil; a demon empire, built from the (now flooded) layer of malbolge, the 6th hell; (where did you think all that water was gonna go, pcs?!) and much more! Stuffs gotten interesting, for sure. Airship travels gonna be particularly fun to do.

9 Likes

Ooh that sounds fantastic! I love the idea of the water draining to a different plane, I wonder how that happened? And yeah, the concept of airship travel in dnd sounds like great fun! I’m excited to hear more! :blossom:

6 Likes

To be honest the only reason I keep up with this thread isn’t because I play DND it’s more so of how fantastic these stories are and the detail going into the characters.

10 Likes

dnd is creative storytelling. staying around to keep track of our tales isnt weird at all ^^

8 Likes

So It is session 1 of my me Eberron Campaign. The party is lvl 5 and are investigating the disappearance of one of players Fiance and are on top of one of the many towers asking students of the University questions. They see someone in a dark cloak (I know a bit on the nose) hanging up a poster they recognized as a racist propaganda against Warforged. They give chase and the figure jumps off the tower into a awaiting flying carriage. Cue the party of 10 spending the next four hours mid air without the use of fly or featherfall. Sometimes I think I am too generous haha

11 Likes

Norixius Sindar is a dragonborn who was exiled from his clan due to the mistakes of his brother. Norixius Korden is opposites of his brother Sindar in almost every way. Rather than the onyx scales with copper accents, Korden was mostly copper with onyx accents. Rather than worshipping Bahamut like any good dragonborn, Korden got caught up in the temptation of power whispered by the queen of chaos herself, Tiamat. His dark arts, sacrificing animals and such, led to the brothers’ banishment.

Sindar eventually gave up on his brother, seeking a new life in the order of Torm. With his new family, he learned the power of the storm. Lightning and thunder accompanied him as he hunted evil threats to all kind, knowing all along that it was Bahamut’s power that coursed through him. Sindar chased the dragon cult for years, using his enchanted longsword and dragon fang shield to bring destruction on the unworthy. All the way he has kept a dark secret, even from his companions. Korden is the leader of the dragon cult, who seeks to bring back Tiamat.

All of this is fitting because now my party and I are playing through the campaign, rise of Tiamat. Korden is definitely involved and things are about to get crazy. Along the way Sindar began to raise a red dragon as his own, trying to prove the nurture versus nature argument, secretly hoping he can somehow save Korden.

That’s where we are right now, so I will update later if anyone is interested!

7 Likes

This happened very recently, but I was doing a very basic find the orc camp and get rid of it one shot, and I was playing a chaotic neutral tempest cleric with 8 intelligence.

So the story basically is after killing about three scouting parties we came upon the camp in a clearing- and of course are first thought was “burn the tents and let fire damage do the work for us” (we had a fire genasi so it’s be pretty simple things to do).

BUT THEN our bard mentioned they had earth tremor as well.

A lightbulb went off in my head and I slammed my hands on the table and yelled “WE CAN PRETEND TO BE GOD!!”

Everyone gave me a weird look and then I started to explain- “listen I can use thaumaturgy to make my voice HELLA loud telling them I’ll smite them for desecrating my forest or something and- and- and then Opo (our bard) can cast earth tremor and produce flame to make it seem REAL.”

There was a long moment of silence as they all just stared at me. Until our Warlock said “yo what if we use some fire and shadows to project your silhouette onto that huge rock over there-”

And that’s how we scared 90% of an orc camp away with a screaming unintelligent tempest cleric proclaiming themselves to be the god of the forest at 12 o’clock at night.

9 Likes

@Aschu Yes! I love this. Our group is always trying to find different ways of handling situations. Of course the plan never works but its always great fun!

5 Likes