All About Food, Drinks and Cooking

I’ve definitely been guilty of eating garlic knots in place of, well, pretty much any meal. They only take around forty minutes to make, and that includes rise time, so they’re one of the easier doughs.
I also am hoping to make foccacia soon, although I’ve got a real bad track record with it. I watched the Salt Fat Acid Heat documentary and all I wanted to do was make that bread.

9 Likes

I LOVED that documentary!

7 Likes

I absolutely loved it to! It convinced me to buy the book, which I had been on the fence about for a while. All of the food looked so good, and it was so apparent that everyone enjoyed cooking and eating and sharing food with people. All (or at least most) of the recipes from the documentary are up online, which is great.

6 Likes

Pro tip: do not use a cookie for a bookmark.

Even if you know the book will preserve it for, like, 50 years.

Yes, even if it’s a 16th century copy of Augustine.

14 Likes

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

6 Likes

Made some bread! I’m really happy with how it’s turned out!

It was super low effort, I used a no-knead, 18 hour rise recipe!
It turned out kind of dense but not in a bad way, just very hearty and delicious.

9 Likes

I should probably get my go-to bread recipe out and start playing with it again soon.

6 Likes

If anybody wants a link to the one I use, let me know and I’ll post it on here.

6 Likes

Sheet Pan Chicken Souvlaki for tonight’s easy weeknight dinner!

14 Likes

Ingredients?!
I need a Dutch oven.

4 Likes

Trying my hand at sourdough starter.
16g all purpose flour
16g warm water
5g raw unfiltered honey

24hrs later no activity.
Considering our kitchen is on the cool side, I’ll do my best to ignore it for a couple more days.

13 Likes

@Sellalellen thank you for that hotteok recipe you linked a while ago, I’m making it now for the fourth or fifth time and it’s one of my favorite snacks to make.

7 Likes

So I just made sourdough discard crackers.
It was technically a two-day effort, since I prepped the dough yesterday.
I made three batches, and they would be SO perfect with tzatziki sauce! I need to get yogurt next time I go to market.

13 Likes

Made foccacia again today! I usually make it Sunday morning so that I can eat it the rest of the week, but my short vacation has the schedule all messed up.
I switched the yeast brand after my grocery store stopped carrying it and this batch turned out so much fluffier than the previous ones. It’ll be interesting to see how well it holds up throughout the week–the previous batches tended to be denser in general, and after a few days weren’t all that good. But bad foccacia is still pretty good imo.
bread
That’s a potato quality picture but it’s close to 1 1/2 inches or so in height. I’m still learning how my baby oven works and the needed heat for bread is a bit out of its range, but it comes out really well all things considered!

13 Likes

So made some caramel sauce and a lemon meringue pie which I found the recipe for at the end of a book I was reading. Caramel sauce tastes great, I’ll have to wait a few hours to try the pie though.

15 Likes

Dinner tonight: last-minute-throw-together-because-the-place-we-had-planned-on-getting-takeout-from-is-closed-because-COVID-has-sucked-the-joy-out-of-the-world grain bowls with tahini-lemon-honey dressing.

15 Likes

Wow… Looks SO much better than anything I could do!

5 Likes

I’m currently redacted deep in feijoa’s (I think other countries call them pineapple guava?) at the moment, so if anyone has any good feijoa recipes I’d be happy to hear them.
There are only so many feijoa and date loaves my husband can eat after all, and you can’t even give them away at the moment :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Oooo I can’t help, but that fruit sounds fantastic :star_struck:

4 Likes

It’s a rather acquired taste, very perfume-y on the palate. I really love them though.

4 Likes