All About Food, Drinks and Cooking

I always feel like a good way of knowing each other is through sharing food, but also talking about food, about our likes and dislikes, about our memories linked to food, etc. So here I go starting a thread about food to get to know all of you a bit better through your stomach!

If you want, let’s start by sharing our favorite food\ the typical food form where you live.

13 Likes

I’ll start!

A lot of you will know mine:

It’s poutine. It’s my number one comfort food. For those who don’t know it, it’s basically fries, gravy and cheese curds forming some gooey deliciousness.

Fun fact: there are a couple of cities in Québec claiming to be the true birthplace of poutine. I was born in one of them (the right one :p) and I take all poutine matters very serioulsy.

18 Likes

Poutine :drooling_face:

8 Likes

So Jiggs Dinner is my 1# food I’d associate with my family and heritage. This is a traditional Newfie Sunday dinner made by dumping navel beef, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, turnip, and probably a few kinds of pudding as well (savoury not dessert), all into one big pot and boiling it for a few hours. The salt seeps from the beef into everything, and that’s all the seasoning you need, aside from gravy. My family usually makes Blueberry pudding and Pease pudding in with everything, and then we have custard and tea biscuits for dessert.
We used to eat it every Sunday at my Nanny’s house when we lived in Ontario, but now it’s usually reserved for holidays, and we’ll cook a turkey in addition.

11 Likes

Oh I love this! So hearthy and comforting !

And now I want blueberry pudding. :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Because I love cooking (and eating!) And I’m a nerd, I figured I can take this in a little bit of a different direction :grin:

One of my friends got me this:

… And so I promptly made these:

I’ve spent enough time in Tamriel that I’m pretty much sure I can claim that I’m from there. And no, nobody stole any of them.

26 Likes

I have been summoned.

14 Likes

Homemade pastas :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I got a whole kit for my birthday, a ~400 dollar italian pasta maker, rack, and flour and oil used in actual italian restaurants. Its such a cool thing to do, tastes amazing too ^w^

7 Likes

It does taste amazing. I did a cooking workshop on pastas once, with a very cheap pasta maker btw (it worked anyway!) and everyone was so proud to have made some by themselves!

5 Likes

It can really be a pain, but i highly recommend buying your own machine. Its an egg and two kinds of flour, hardly that tough. The annoying bits the wait time to let it solidify =3=;

5 Likes

I lived in Quebec for a year and had legit poutine and it ruined me.

Albertans don’t know what they’re missing out on :laurencry:

6 Likes

If we’re going with “hometown originals” theme,

jim-s-steaks-south-street

Cheesesteaks, from nowhere else but Jim’s Steaks on South St.
Don’t believe ANYone who tells you Pat’s or Geno’s. Those are tourist traps. You hear me?! Traps!

Pasta!! I’m trying to get away from carbs, though, so I’ve discovered a love of egg noodles that I didn’t have before.

12 Likes

I’m more of a Dalessandro’s in Roxborough kind of guy, myself. Also, Tony Luke’s.

7 Likes

Can you believe I’ve lived my entire life in this area and never been to Tony’s? Roxborough is definitely too far a drive.

7 Likes

There’s not really anything that’s typical to where I live and picking a favourite out of the gazillions of things I love to eat is super hard… :sweat_smile: so if it’s OK, I’mma share what I’m eating tonight:

Silken tofu with sesame oil, unpasteurized soy sauce, seaweed flakes, anchovy chilli sambal and crispy garlic bits, with a side of pickles (daikon, mustard greens and homemade cucumber and radish) and fried daikon threads (apparently I couldn’t get enough of radishes tonight…)

12 Likes

I had to get a photo on the internet since my real lasagna is no longer on this plane of existence. I consider myself a human Garfield.

9 Likes

I have the same outlook about food as well. Where I’m from in SWFL (originally from in land) there are a lot of country style dishes and themed diners but as of a couple a years ago I went vegetarian so it’s kind of difficult for me to go out and eat but it’s helped me improved on my home cooking skills.

But there have been a good booming of vegan themed restaurants and food trucks on the come up (which is where self control plays a huge role or I’d be broke :joy:). Here’s one of the dishes I made a while back. Here’s the stuff I make!

10 Likes

Oh wow. I want to try that.

5 Likes

Those tacos (?) look incredible! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes