A Writing Topic for My Magiqal Fellow Authors!

For those who like to write, whether it be Fantasy or Reality, Protracted or Ephemeral! All those who love writing or are looking for a quick short story or a literary work from a friend and a Magiqal companion. Please keep this free of any judgement or anything of that sort!

8 Likes

I shall kick this off. I am almost constantly working on some short story or literary work of some kind, whether it be for a friend or simply for myself. I’ve written all sorts of styles, genres, etc. Although I am still learning much about the art of writing but I absolutely love writing; so if anyone ever wants to talk about writing please let me know and i’ll type your eyes out or talk your ear off depending on the circumstance!

8 Likes

I enjoy writing…a lot. I think more than I admit to myself. Sometimes…often I sit down to write something and despite the millions of ideas swirling in my head I can never seem to get it on paper.

While many of my thoughts regard the practical use of magiq along with philosophy and theory…I’ve been wondering if writing fiction may be more productive…the idea thrills me. But I have no idea how to start that. I get overwhelmed and shut down.

I love the idea of writing these abstract esoteric thoughts out…but thats usually as far as it gets, an idea.

5 Likes

I feel that fiction is a great place to start because you can’t really be judged. It at least helps you learn to get your ideas and grammar down (which I still struggle with!)

3 Likes

Grammmmaaaaaarrrrr shakes fist

I like to think I write how I hear myself in my head…but it involves a lot of commas (and semicolons which I never seem to use correctly) and whatever ‘…’ that is called :joy:

Edit : My life also feels like it would be considered fiction so I often get confused on how to properly translate my verbiage into more ‘fantastical’ terms

3 Likes

A great place to start is to simply have your character do an every day task but with a little flair or mystery! For example “Penelope laid in a pool of blood, the green swirled with the blackened ruins of the room.”
Something like that, sorry may not be the best example but that’s from something I just started working on and haven’t gotten to edit quite yet.

2 Likes

I do enjoy a good pool of blood…

I kid, I kid.

Or do I? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

The ‘…’ is called a colloquial! Hey a start is a start! So many people that I talk to say “yeah I just don’t know how to start” but never try so i get frustrated.
It really just takes practice and a thesaurus is always a huge help! (to me at least)

3 Likes

Lol that is up to you, as I said, no judging!

3 Likes

Hah! Good answer.

3 Likes

I also feel I get stuck on perspective. First person is something I’m practicing right now…

I’ll write something and post it here. Give myself a little challenge :heart:

3 Likes

Please do! Often I find myself writing in third but it’s really authors preference!

I don’t know how much longer i’ll be up as I have class tomorrow but i’ll definitely check it out tomorrow if I don’t see it tonight!

3 Likes

Well, Camp NaNoWriMo should be starting another session in June. My luck with the camp sessions has been less than successful, but that could just be because my brain knows that November is when it’s supposed to vomit out a story of some sort in novel form (my successes this time of year were from the now-defunct Script Frenzy). But those events are meant to just get the words out in their roughest form (unless you decide to use Camp to edit something).

And I always thought “…” was an ellipsis…

5 Likes

I always thought that the effect it put out or the effect that is causes was an ellipsis; although I could most definitely be wrong!

Tomorrow I might just have to ask what NaNoWriMo is :smiley: as I do not know already

But now I must absolutely go to bed but I do hope everyone has a goodnight!

2 Likes

National Novel Writing Month. A friend of mine introduced me to it back in high school. Standard session is in November and you write 50,000 words, quantity over quality. Camp NaNo is in April and June and you can set your own goal for the month. It works off of the fact that having a deadline helps with completing things.
I haven’t been successful in a while, but always recommend it.

6 Likes

I’ll be sure to check it out in the morning! Have a goodnight!

4 Likes

All I know from my experience with the April edition is I’m not going anywhere close this challenge for a foreseeable future unless I can take a month off my work.

I write a lot but it’s mostly lyrics nowadays, particularly fantasy in different paces (aside from high fantasy which I always tend to turn into a caricature of itself) and magical realism/horror.

Still, I’m curious what this thread might bring - added to watchlist!

5 Likes

Just a question but to anyone who happens to scroll (or stroll) through here would you guys want to see some short stories added or keep it to the kind of tips and tricks thing its been thus far?

2 Likes

I would suggest any writing proper go into The Creationary (or the Campfire, depending on the content). Bookish is more for discussing books and book adjacent things, but the other two categories are specifically creative spaces!

6 Likes

Oooo I have not seen these spaces but I am already excited, so i’m assuming you vote for this to be more a tips and tricks type of area?

3 Likes